Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Tuesday

It is Wednesday at 7:30 am. We had no electricity yesterday so I was unable to post Tuesdays events. I will take the opportunity to do that now.

Recho, Allen and I began with a stop in the village where I am staying to pick up a handicapped child and his grandmother.  We took them to a hospital that deals directly with the disabled so he could get his first examination since birth (he is now 3 years old).  We were told he has cerebral palsy and will need 2 pieces of equipment in his home for daily physical therapy.  His grandmama could never afford something like this, so I will cover the cost. It will be approx $100 US only, and will possibly change the rest of his life.  It will be a long process. But his muscles with eventually work much better than they do now and he may someday be able to walk on his own with arm crutches.

After, we drove to Kyampisi Childcare Ministries who promotes and supports child empowerment.  We specifically went to visit Hope, a child that was first placed with ECM and then transferred to this ministry.  Hope is 9 years old  and was kidnapped by witch doctors at 18 months. They kept her lying at an alter with her arms and legs tied behind her for 2 years. They sacrificed some body parts and collected her blood and gave her only enough food and water to keep her alive. She was found lying in a field, still tied.  They have named her Hope because it is obvious that she is still alive because God decided to keep her here.  She is an absolute ray of sunshine to witness.  She loves people and spends most of her time smiling. Hope is only one example of thousands. There are 2 other small boys at this facility with stories too explicit to share here.  The problem of child kidnapping and slavery is rampant here and while there are good people trying to rid the country of this evil, it is a slow and frustrating process.  I watched the children in my village playing last night, and as I held them in my arms and rocked them, I feared for their futures.  Not these ones dear Lord, please surround them with a hedge of protection of your angels today and always.

After visiting Hope, we stopped at Mulago Hospital (Uganda's largest national hospital).  We went to visit a mother and her 9 month old child. The child was born handicapped.  He can not cry or stretch out his limbs. He has the appearance of a 1 month old baby. The hospital hasn't been able to offer this mother any solutions but she continues to sit there day and night with her child.  In Uganda, some mothers are blamed by their families for producing a handicapped child, and this was the case for her.    At least at the hospital she was able to get a small meal each day.  I felt so helpless as it was clear to me that this baby was in such bad shape and his beautiful young mama could only sit and watch him deteriorate.

When we arrived back at our village, I showered and rested. Around 5:00, I went outside of our locked gate and sat in a chair to read my Bible.  Almost immediately, a very young child came towards me carrying an infant baby like a rag doll and handed her to me.  And then the child ran off!  I held the baby for awhile waiting for someone (the mother?) to come for her, but no one came.  The baby was coughing and her nose was running green.  Finally the little child came back with a hat and blanket, and I said, "Take the baby to her mama. She is sick."  She she took her and I watched her hand her to a woman in the distance.  The woman, clearly not satisfied with my response, walked to me with her baby and said in very broken English, "She is sick.  I need medicine."  I know that there is a clinic very nearby, so I gave her money for an antibiotic and cough medicine.  I can only pray she will spend the money on the medicine.  People here are always coming to you to share their particular stories of struggle.  You really have to use so much discernment in deciding who and how you can help.  I tend to focus on the children and I try to use my resources to provide for them.

After the mama left, my 4 little friends showed up to play for the evening.  They have been the highlight of my stay.  To one little girl, Kate, I have grown very attached.  She crawls into my lap and stares into my eyes and rubs my skin.  She loves me so much and I love her even more.  She is about 3 years old and I have not yet been able to locate a mama that belongs to her.  She just runs around in the evening, maybe in the care of a neighbor?  The first evening that I had to send her home, she burst into the saddest tears I have ever seen.  I look forward to seeing her when I return from my work today.

I will be doing family visits for the Kamwokya project.  One visit will include a hospital to visit one of their sponsored children who was hit by a car on Wed 1/29/14. I believe that he remains in a coma with a brain injury. He was walking where he was supposed to, when a speeding taxi swerved and hit him. They said his mama witnessed it and passed out. I can not begin to imagine her grief.

"Rejoice in our confident hope.  Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying."   -Romans 12:12


8 comments:

  1. It was great to see/read a new post from you..but very sad. I am just sick regarding all of the stories you shared today, but the witch doctor story ....was very frightening. I just can't understand why there is so much "weird" going on there. People are a mess.....I know that "weird" goes on here too.....and......I just can't understand how there can be so much insanity on the earth. I know that horrible things happen everywhere on the earth to children....I've just never been up close to extreme cases that you are seeing ...like you're experiencing right now. Children everywhere are helpless and vulnerable to sick predators and careless others...out for their own satisfactions...
    It's hard enough to see the kids at school living in "American squalor" let alone to see that children all over the world are living in their own "squalor" and sickness of all kind. It's so nice that you are helping out while you are there... I just keep saying to myself, "wow." I look at their little smiling faces and see the sheer joy they are experiencing just getting to be your friend. You are a great friend to them!! I would love to be able to talk to them and make them smile, too! I was saddened by all of the tiny ones wearing just scrappy little shirts/no bottoms. I look at the clothes they are all wearing and pictured the children they used to belong to...and how long those clothes have been around...making their way to different owners and finally to these kids. Scraggily, bedraggled...it's so sad. ( I realize I am using words that don't exist..sorry) It's 920 am here...8 inches or so of snow on the porch...no school today/level 2 emergency .....going to grade some papers today..yay ...you have probably just witnessed more unbelievable things today....I will be here waiting to "hear" from you. I love you and will pray for all of the innocent people on the earth that are in need. Miss ya....and on a humorous note..."Go wash your feet!" haha LOVE LOVE LOVE...Ryan's favorite word, right? and remember..my favorite word is...KINDNESS!! You are giving it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Checked on the fam yesterday.....Ry is probably sick of it but it's like my job now.....they are missing you and I know you are missing them! You are an angel to these people....and your kindness and love is unmatched. I am in Washington, D.C. this week.....no snow just ice so far. Love the pics of your little ones!!! Do good! Love you xoxox Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Father I thank you for the love that you have put in Terra's heart. Thank you for the strength that you have given her to take this journey with You and thank you for the kindness of Your love expressed through the hands, feet, voice, arms, and smile of Your servant Terra. Amen

    Hello, I haven't been able to keep up daily with your posts but I do keep you in prayer. I think of the bravery and strength that you must continue to walk in knowing that even though all that horrible stuff is rampid God is ultimately in control and every bit alive and active. I miss you friend as I am sure your family does as well. Continuing in prayer, Melana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terra,
    I have been reading along but have not been able to figure out how to post comments til now. I think what you are doing is AMAZING! You have been in my thoughts everyday and I have been saying prayers for your continued safety. What an experience...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Matthew's comment, and I feel the same way. We are messengers of Christ, and we can do so much more when we come together. Sometimes we get so busy just trying to get through our own experiences that we forget there's a whole world of opportunity out there that we're missing to be the presence of Jesus to others. I'm so glad you've taken the responsibility to do what we all, as Christ's church, should be doing. I'm totally in awe of this whole experience you're having and can't imagine what heartache you must have amidst the joy that the children bring you. I'm sure the joy you bring them is immeasurable and lasting. Stay safe and strong!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blog-Hog #2 checking in: I am right there with ya Matt....as I sit here sucking down my Faygo Redpop...that I had to buy FOUR CASES of the other night......not 1....and as I sit here snacking on like everything I can get my hands on..chocolate, popcorn, choc. chip cookies...and as I listen to my youngest daughter playing a cd that I just bought her tonight...oh wait...I bought TWO CD'S for her tonight...(I got a third paycheck this month..so ...why not splurge, right? ....and then be "broke" in a week....... I am a victim of my own self.....my own sickness...that many of us suffer from...because "we can." Sad, right.... You are so smart, Matt and intuitive, and you are doing good...and you will do more great things with your life. We will all try harder....we will all have thoughts in the front of our minds now...especially after what Terra has shown us....I pray we will all make changes in our lives in some way....and spread this light wherever we go...somehow.... It will be hard no to feel "guilty" when I look around at the "things" I have...and that others don't have. I've always felt "pain" for others that live "without"...but as I get older...wow does it sink in deeper..... It is still hard to be totally like Jesus and give without receiving something....even a kind word of thanks.......I have a "situation" in my life, right now, that requires me give without receiving and it plagues me...it tears at my brain...it confuses me...I want to give and not be angry for getting anything in return...and I really struggle with this issue... I hope I can work through this and become "selfless." Goodnight..Terra....as my current fav. pop song goes....."said no more counting dollars..we'll be counting stars." I don't exactly know what the band really means with that line but I am making it mean that we will try hard to not live for money...and things.... Goodnight/Goodmorning ps 2 hr delay tomorrow....just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete