Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Beautiful Day

It is Thursday at 1:00 pm and it is my last day here.  We did not schedule any field work today so I am able to relax and visit with my new friends, young and old.  I was too exhausted to post last night when I returned so I can update you now.

Yesterday was a very long day of walking and visiting.  Allen, Rachel and I started by taxi and went to Kamwokya to meet Richard and Linda.  We then walked a very far distance (far to me, although they are always telling me, "It is close."). Their idea of near and my idea are very different!  ;)   The first stop we made was to a slum area where we stopped at a mud house to visit the mother of one of the sponsored children.  The home was maybe 5x8 and I believe 4 lived there.  The mother was very unloving to the daughter that was present asking that she be taken far away.  It was a confusing situation for me as the project coordinators were trying so hard to talk some sense into the mother.

The next stop (again, a very long walk) was another slum district and another family visit. This time to a mother of 6 and grandmama of one.  She was living in the same type of dwelling as the first family.  She was a Christian woman and cried and cried. When I asked why she was crying, I was told because she was so grateful to God and ECM for all of their blessings.'"  And she was living in complete and utter poverty. A small dark room with no items of comfort just bleak and depressing. And yet, she was crying tears of joy.

Our last stop was to a hospital to visit the sponsored child who was hit by the taxi. He is recovering and will be discharged soon. The problem is that the family is destitute and unable to pay the hospital bill so they refuse to release the child. So every day the bill increases for keeping the child whose parents cannot afford the current bill!  So frustrating!  The  ECM staff was looking into allocating emergency funds.  I am not sure of the outcome.

Then it was time to say a final farewell to Richard and Linda.  As we parted ways, I felt sad and wondered how I would handle saying goodbye very soon to the rest of my friends.

When I arrived back late in the evening my little friends were waiting so we played and I fed them cookies.  They do not understand that soon I will be leaving.

There were a pile of ants and a dead roach on my bed last night.  That is all I will say about that.

When I woke this morning, I checked my online journal (is that a better word than blog?) and read my brother Matt's comments.  It was the first time I really allowed myself to cry.  I have been so afraid that if it start I will never stop, but the tears poured down my cheeks.  I cried so hard because he really got it. He understood what I have been feeling for so long. The Lord has been speaking to my heart and calling me to action for some time now and I understand, I really do, why everyone else does not feel this calling and this pain, but when I read his words, I finally felt like someone understood. My brother and I have a relationship where we seem to know how the other is feeling or what the other is thinking before we even share it. This is a blessing from God, to have someone who knows you so well and still loves you for exactly who you are. I love you Matt.

I feel like I need to say that I do not expect others to share my desire to love the people of Uganda. God placed Uganda on my heart so I am here. If God has placed America, Iceland, the slums of New York City, your next door neighbors, the elderly gentleman at church, someone in your workplace, addicts, the lonely, the handicapped, (I could go on) on your heart...move to action. Love them with all of the strength and resources you can muster.  Be obedient to your Maker and live your life intentionally. We are not perfect but we all know what it feels like to want to be loved, to be cared for by someone, to know you matter, to feel you were created for a higher purpose and not just here by accident or because of a mistake.  Everyone thinks that I have been a blessing to the people I have met in Uganda, but make no mistake... I am the one who has been blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment