Monday, February 3, 2014

My Visit to the Karimojong

It is Monday at 9 pm.  I am tired and yet I realize as I write these words that I will lay my head down on a pillow in a soft bed to sleep tonight.  Not so for the people that I met today.  They will lay outside on the ground, surrounded by garbage, the same as every night unless they can come up with 500 schillings (less than an American dollar).  If they can, they will share a room with 9 other people. I took a picture of the inside of one so you could see it. Scroll down at the pics and you will see one with a few women standing inside.
What I saw today was beyond any description I can put into words. Recho is the coordinator for the Karimojong people. I talked about them in an earlier post but I will repeat in case you didn't read it. The Karimojong are a people group from up north, a place called Karimojo Land. They are cattle herders and very good at what they do. For some reason, there is conflicting information, they migrated to Kampala. It is believed they were forced, but the government here is trying to force them back.  They are despised by society and treated horribly.  As a result, they live in the most extreme and shocking conditions known to man. I witnessed it today firsthand and I am forever changed.  It was as if I had entered into someone's nightmare, but it was real. I was having so much trouble comprehending what I was seeing.  They welcomed me so warmly and thanked me over and over and over again...Just for coming.  They sang and danced for me and their leaders took turns giving small speeches to greet me. Recho translated. I sat in awe just trying to nod my head and smile. I held their hands as they knelt on the ground in front of me to show respect.  I should have been on my knees in front of them.  And through it all they sang praises to Jesus and clapped and cheered when I told them that He loved them.  I kept revisiting Bible passages in my mind. The treatment of the lepers became real. I was a part of the story.  I had just read Luke 10: 30-37 ( if you do not know it off hand, please read it), and suddenly I realized why.  And I now really do understand that the ruler of this world is Satan and that he has brought so much destruction and that he wants us to believe that Jesus isn't strong but we know that He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world.  1 John 4:4.
Jesus has the power and authority to do whatever He wills, but what He wills is for his children (you and me) to love one another. And love means you do not let your brothers and sisters in Christ starve to death and die alone in a garbage heap.  Matthew 25:34-40 is not hypothetical. James 2:1-9 is not a suggestion.  And rich in faith the Karimojong are.  Oh, if only my love and faith for our savior could be as deep and authentic as theirs.
I have never had such juxtaposed feelings. Hating what I see and loving what I witness.  Wanting to run away as fast as possible and never look back and feeling like I should never leave.  Feeling like I was in a bad dream and feeling reality for the first time in my life. Horrible beauty. Satan's evil and God's glory. My heart bled and filled with love at the same time.
It is so overwhelming that it can be tempting to think the problems are just too big, but I have never forgotten the story I was told about the boy walking on the beach one morning where thousands of starfish had been washed ashore. He was picking up one at a time and tossing them back into the ocean when a man came along and asked, "Boy, why do you bother?  Do you really think it's going to make a difference."  The boy having just released one into the water replied, "it made a difference for that one."

Tonight I will wear to bed the simple black rubber necklace that the Karimojong gave to me as a gift. It will serve as a daily reminder that "...to whom much is given, from him much will be required... Luke 12:48

6 comments:

  1. I didn't know whether to share this long story on your blog, but I just have to! I've been reading a Charles Stanley book, and TODAY I read about the story of the Good Samaritan! It was about how many times Jesus shows up to help us through another person, and that we should be aware of who Jesus is using in our lives to bring about God's perfect plan in our lives. I felt the presence of Jesus so strongly today because of your witness, Terra! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are accomplishing much more than you set out to accomplish and this experience is far deeper than you ever imagined. I am so proud that you can share your love with those who so richly deserve it. Love you xoxoxo. Do good! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Going from what Sheri said about who Jesus "puts" in our lives/uses to help us grow...I have had a couple experiences this week (and other weeks as well) with just this. It's hard to face/understand...sometimes I feel so guilty for intense angry feelings that I have...then I have heart wrenching moments when I feel sadness and compassion for these "people" in my own life...it's so confusing...sometimes ...a lot of times...I don't feel strong enough/good enough....Then the hardest part is wondering/realizing that this is a divine plan...for me to grow..??... The first thing I thought of when I saw the horrifying, filthy, heartbreaking, confusing, and sad pictures you posted today...was...the Kardashian family!!!...I vividly remembered/pictured an episode of them on their vacation in Greece...everything was beautiful..everything was clean and white and pristine.....they were laughing and indulging themselves in a glorious vacation........It's so....hard to understand..how things can be so incredibly "different"....for people on the same planet. Then, just now, as I turned the TV on to use the computer, I saw about 20 seconds of a Sports Illustrated model show..some kind of "get together,"...it was sickening...the women were saying things like" It's so glorious to be in the same room with so many beautiful people!" They were flicking their hair around and posing in their gorgeous clothes. I thought quickly back to the women there in Karimojong sifting through trash, etc.......So hard to understand...... Hope you're ok...you seem to be spreading some happiness there. See ya...Love,ginge

    ReplyDelete
  4. 630pm
    I'm not really sure I have the words to post in any form of a reply...Reading of your experiences over the past two days and viewing the posted images, I have found myself doing a great deal of "self evaluation". I spent most of today trying to process the pictures from Karimojong, knowing I cannot truly understand the impact it has had on you and at the same time challenging myself to move from talk to action. Your work has opened my eyes to local needs that I have managed to overlook right here in Ohio as well as the global concerns you have brought to light for us... I continue to lift you and your team up in prayers...

    " The King will reply, truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine you did for me" Matthew 25:40

    Love-
    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible. Beautiful. Heart-breaking. So real. Ginger's comments are so on point. It is so amazing to me how the good Lord is using your experience to teach us so many things about ourselves and His world. What are we doing?? Chasing after the wind? While these beautiful people starve to death and live in squalor? Not just in Uganda - but right here, in the States. People are struggling with addictions of all kinds that are destroying their lives, living in the streets, being exploited by the sex industry, while the rich are getting richer, the poor are getting poorer. And what are we doing about it? Chasing after the wind, in the rat race, while God's children suffer. We have got to come together and make a difference. Just think if just the few people who have been interacting on this blog decided that enough is enough, and decided to do everything we could to change things - something - anything - for one person even, like the little boy on the seashore. What could we do together for God and His people that are suffering? Thank you for helping to open my eyes to a world that is much bigger than me and my circumstances. ..It's so easy to get caught up in ..distractions. I love you Terra. You left full of fears, faced them like a faithful soldier and you are coming back a stronger soldier for Christ than ever. Think of how much stronger you will forever be! What fears can you - or the rest of us - not overcome in Christ? It's time for us to stop being afraid and to start acting like courageous soldiers. Thank you for setting such a good example.

    ReplyDelete