Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Fun day with the kids

It is 4:30 pm my time and 8:30 am yours on Tuesday. I have had a long and fun day. About 30 of the sponsored children came today so we could have Bible class and celebrate.  The kids sang and danced for hours. (Got the video for you Renee:) ). Then we walked,to Kasangati field to play netball ( basketball) and soccer.  The children all get along so well and they are so kind.  They all wanted to hold my hands as we walked.  I am learning quite a bit of Luganda but I have a ways to go.  It is a very difficult language to speak. Here are some examples:  Hi....Ki Kati (pronounced chee katee)
How are you?...Oli otya.       My name is Terra.....Erinnya. Lyange nza Terra. (Although the children call me Auntie Terra.).

Our lunch was prepared over a fire in the yard and it consisted of rice, beans, cabbage and chopped veggies.  And yes, they know that I do not eat meat because "it makes me sick."  They can't hide how strange they think this is so I act like I feel like it is a very strange shame as well.

I can't tell you how often I forget that I am the only white person in the village.  It isn't until I hear shouts of, "Muzungu!" from very young children, that I remember.

The one picture of me and the 3 children is our sponsored children Kenneth, Norah, and Amina.  It was the first day we met.  They were so shy and now they hardly leave my side!

So tired.... Couldn't fall asleep last night and only slept about an hour or two.  More later.

Love to you all!  Also, I love reading your comments.  They keep me from getting too homesick. Thank you.

Teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.  Psalm 90:12

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I just read that post and solved who the kids are! Oh my goodness, I wish I could fly there right now and take part in all of this. It's finally real...all of the things you imagine it to be there...and here's proof. I noticed that the one little toddler's belly was protruded..on the stairs....is that common? I've seen it in pic's on tv..it's so sad to see their lifestyle, but they seem so content and happy with it all... I hope you can sleep better tonight....love you very much ginge

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite part is still...." I would very much like to be your friend." Love you lots and stay safe! ------Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad your having such a nice time!! I miss you! I love you!! I love the pics!

    ReplyDelete