Thursday, July 30, 2015

Thursday

It is almost 7 am Friday morning.  The power is out again.  It seems to go off each morning around the same time.
We had a long day yesterday with many stops. We started by going to the 91four house to visit with the girls.  They were busy sewing and so happy to see us.  We then left for Bright School.  This is a school where Recho works with young Karamojong children who have been abandoned.  There are about 15-20 Karamojong living there and they are provided with a bed, food, and an education.  Similar to 91four, but for primary age children.  The school already existed for orphaned children of Kampala, but agreed to take on these children as well.  Recho oversees that portion of the program.  She tried many, many schools but all of them turned her away because these children are Karamojong - all but Bright School.  Praise God for their willingness to accept these precious children.  One of the youngest boys there, Matthew, was orphaned when his mother died on Christmas day in 2013.  She was laying on the dirt in the middle of Katwe (one of the slum districts) when Recho found her.  Matthew was in her arms as well as another small infant.  When I arrived in January, we searched for an orphanage to take the infant - again, a problem because they are Karamojong - but while we were searching -  the child died as well.  Matthew was then taken to Bright School to live until secondary school.

We then drove to Andrew's house, Recho's fiance.  They will be married tomorrow and we are invited to the wedding.  We ate a meal of posha (sp?) which is a type of mashed corn which tasted similar to Cream of Wheat, spaghetti, and cabbage and veggies.  It was very good.  Then Barnabas (our driver and now friend) took us to his home and then on to see Recho's house.  We finished our day at the home of Recho's pastor where we were served another meal of watermelon, pineapple, rice, veggies, fish, and potatoes.  It is Ugandan culture to give you a meal when you visit, so needless to say we were very full at the end of the day!

Today. Matt and I will be traveling to Jinja - a city about 1 1/2 hours away.  We want to see more of Uganda while we are here and since Recho is busy with wedding plans today, we figured today would be the day to do that.

I miss my family.  I was struggling last night - feeling very sad.  Matt came to my room and we talked until midnight and that helped me feel better.  When I am here, I miss Ryan and Maggie and my dad.  I ALWAYS miss Brittany because she lives so far away.  When I am at home, my heart aches to see my friends here and to be with the girls.  But right now I am here - so I am missing there.

Thank you to everyone who is following along on this blog as we are here.  It warms my heart and comforts me to know that I am not alone on this journey but that there are so many loving people back home that genuinely care about what God is doing here.  Your support and prayers means so much to me that it makes me tear up as I write these words.

Matt updated our 91four Facebook page yesterday with additional pictures and videos.  The videos would not load on my blog but they are worth watching.  He apologizes for the cinematography ;) but at least you can get a better idea of Kisenyi.  Katwe was such nightmarish mayhem, that videoing there became impossible.  It may be the worst place on earth.

I love you all.

These things I have spoken to you,
that in Me you may have peace.
In the world you will have tribulation;
but be of good cheer,
I have overcome the world.
John 16:33
h

5 comments:

  1. I miss you! (But I Always miss you.)
    I checked in with Ryan yesterday....they are still doing ok....and NOT making too much of a mess! (I hope) wishing Recho and Andrew many blessings of happiness!
    Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terra, you and Matt and your family back home are in my daily thoughts and prayers. Love seeing pictures of the girls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can imagine how you feel being away from your family here back home, I am sure they are so proud of you and Matt for the Lord's work that you are doing! <3 Continued prayers for you, Matt, and the girls. Prayers today for safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am praying for you and your family Mrs. Rogers! We all miss you guys very much! I cannot wait to see you and hear from you. I am sure it will be a blessing for you to get back to your family! I hope your trip today goes well and I pray for blessing on Recho's wedding and hope that she is excited! I'd love to see pictures of the wedding!
    Love you guys, and I hope my man Matt is doing well. I'm praying for him haha ;)
    See you soon! Love and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all love you Terra and Matt! The pictures and videos are incredible. ..some so good and some so bad. To see the smiles on the girls faces is a gift! I am praying for you all and checking in with Ryan and Maggie often. Love you!

    ReplyDelete