Sunday, July 26, 2015

Sunday

It is Monday morning and I am getting ready to start another day.  First, a few highlights from yesterday.  We left at 10 am to head back to the airport (an hours drive one way) to pick up Matt's luggage which we were told would be there.  It wasn't.  Very frustrating because of the lack of urgency or answers on their part. I finally got in touch with Delta (because we flew with them) and they were able to track it to Amsterdam.  Supposedly it was to arrive late last night on a flight into Entebbe so we will try to retrieve it again today.  :/
We ate in a small restaurant on the way back.  The menu was:  liver and chips, sausage and chips, or chicken and chips.  I decided on just chips (french fries) and a coke.
We arrived back at the project house around 4:00 and listened to the girls sing praise and worship songs for about an hour as we waited for the pastor arrive.  The pastor and his team/friends arrived around 6:00 and we had an hour long service.  The visitors (the men) ate a meal and talked while Matt and I spent time with the staff and the girls, and then we ate dinner around 9:00.  Our meal consisted of: white rice, 3 kinds of potatoes (sweet, yam, cassava), spinach, chopped vegetables, chapati (fried bread) and ground nuts with fish mixed in.  Everyone is so kind and hospitable.
There is a 2 year old girl who has been abandoned there named Esther.  I took pictures of her and showed her what she looked like and painted her nails bright pink.  She is precious and my heart breaks for her.
We arrived back to our hotel around 11:00 and after sharing some insights with one another, Matt and I headed off to our rooms for some much needed sleep.
I feel a sense of safety and comfort because my brother has traveled with me this time.  It doesn't seem quite as traumatizing because I have him to share this experience with, whereas last time I had to keep all of my feelings and thoughts inside and this blog was my only outlet.  There is so so so much suffering here.  Matt has not witnessed the worst of it yet - that will come Wednesday when we travel into the Karamojong slum areas.  But, he is certainly getting a very clear picture of the immense poverty in Uganda and the conditions in which people are forced to exist under.  And yet there is hope among them and they worship Him and give Him praise and realize that every good thing comes from Him.  They love Jesus in a way that is deep and unashamed and it is a beautiful testimony of their faith.  I am so blessed and grateful to be able to spend my time learning and growing because of them.

But let all who take refuge in you be glad;
let them ever sing for joy.
Spread your protection over them,
that those who love your name may rejoice in you.
Psalm 5:11



Matt and I in front of the project house
(Read the sign :)  )

The girls 
Baby Esther
Passing out supplies from donors
(Patty, that's the nail polish in my hand.  They cheered loudest over that!)

6 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! That sign is so nice haha! Love it! And the picture of you and little baby Esther almost made me cry! She is so adorable and I thank God that he sent you guys to show her love! This ministry is fulfilling its purpose, that's for sure! Again, we are still praying for Matt's luggage! And, Mrs. Rogers! I can't believe you didn't try the liver and chips! ;) haha
    That picture of the girls smiling and laughing warms my heart and blesses me! They look so much different and it's amazing! God Bless, you guys are being prayed for constantly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! And how is our lady Recho doing? She is in our prayers too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 How awesome and amazing! God is so good! :D Continued prayers for you both and for all the girls!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting for this trip to be an answer to prayers and all of your devotion and hard work. The pictures are so very different than they were last time. The joy is obvious! Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting for this trip to be an answer to prayers and all of your devotion and hard work. The pictures are so very different than they were last time. The joy is obvious! Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting for this trip to be an answer to prayers and all of your devotion and hard work. The pictures are so very different than they were last time. The joy is obvious! Praying for you guys.

    ReplyDelete