Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Monday 8/29/16

It's not really Monday; it's Tuesday.  I just didn't have it in me to post yesterday and I really don't even now. I may not even end up pushing the publish button because maybe this one is just for me.
We went to the Katwe and Kisenyi slum areas yesterday. Kisenyi was first. It consists mostly of women and small children and is the least brutal of the two. We were able to meet a handful of the new girls that would be coming to the 91four house after the first group graduates. They were gathered together in a dwelling that looked like a cave.  Dirt floors and walls, so dark and small and horrifying. And they were sitting closely together very quietly and they looked so afraid. I tried to be so gentle with them and speak softly and kindly but they had this terrified look and I thought that maybe they were afraid they were getting ready to be kidnapped and trafficked by us. My heart hurt. You could tell they wanted to be hopeful but what on earth would allow them to be?  Devastating. We left them by telling them that we loved them and that God loved them and because of that, they would soon be in a safe place.

We left Kisenyi and headed to Katwe. Katwe is like a form of hell on earth. It is filthy and unsanitary and the absolute scariest place I have ever set foot in. The men are drunk and the women are in misery. The children are half clothed and sickly. There are flies everywhere and as well as garbage. People are sleeping in the dirt and makeshift dwellings. And yet the Karamojong male leaders are dignified. They were once savage and brutal warriors. They lived naked and killed with spears. They were cattle raiders and herders and they survived. But due to neighboring countries at war which led to unrest in their land, as well as famine/starvation, they migrated to Kampala. And so here Matt and I sat with them, as they expressed their gratitude (through our translator) for what we do to help them.  All I could think of was the men they were and where they came from, and the men they were standing in front of me. The people here are afraid of them as well and embarrassed and rightfully so with the fear. They are a primitive tribal group. But they are so much more than that. They are kind and gentle when respected and treated fairly. They welcomed us (because they have come to recognize us) and form somewhat of a protection around us while we are there. They need so much help. So much. My heart aches for them and what they are forced to endure. They have figured out a way to brew their own alcohol and many begin drinking upon waking. And people complain about it. What?  Really?  Please believe me when I tell you that if that was my existence, I'd be the first one with a cup each morning. And I'd drink until I passed out cold. If only to escape it for those hours...  They drink to forget. To pretend it is not as bad as it is. And they want to work or go to school but they can't because no one will hire them or pay their school fees. (You must pay to go to school here.)  Recho tried to take the little children to a nearby church but was turned away because, "the children are too dirty."
I can not say what the answer to this mess might be. But there is so much suffering occurring and these are living, breathing, feeling human beings just like me.  God help me if I do nothing after seeing what I've seen and knowing what I know.
The 91four house is the only one of its kind in kampala. We can currently house 25 girls max.  If we had help, we could have a bigger facility to protect, educate, house and feed more girls. Please consider helping us help them.  I know of no other way to do this than to ask for help.
Today was a beautiful day spent talking and laughing and worshipping with the girls. Tomorrow we plan to do the same.

"Carry each other's burdens and in this way you shall fulfill the law of Christ."  Galatians 6:2

3 comments:

  1. I have no words after reading this post. My heart is sad but hopeful to see what God will do through us to help the least of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank God, and I thank you for your love and dedication. I know our Lord Jesus gets all the glory. My heart aches after reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts are needed as reminders for us to pray for the needy and count our blessings. Praying for these people and for you guys as well. Just reading the posts weigh heavy on my heart. I could not imagine what you are feeling seeing all this first hand. I know God is giving you the strength to get through this and for you to share to others what you see.

    ReplyDelete