Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Tuesday 3/20/18

The people here like to say, "Uganda is easy."  But to others - Uganda is not easy. Uganda is anything but easy...
Others might say that Uganda is harsh - the summer months are sweltering and the winter months are filled with endless rain  The work - people constantly in search of jobs, many of which are endless hours of intensive labor for a pay they can scarcely survive on.  Education is so strongly desired that parents will do just about any type of work to ensure their children go to school. Every child must pay tuition as well as the cost for a uniform and books.  For many, no matter how hard they try, they will never be able to send their child.  The food is the same at each meal: beans, rice, cooked veggies.  For some, they may only eat once per day while others will go without food for longer.  The water can make you extremely ill in most places except the city and malaria due to mosquitoes is prevalent.
But a Ugandan would tell you that they are fine with the summer months and that God is sending His blessings when He sends 3 months of rain so that their crops will grow and supply their families with food.  They would tell you that they are grateful for any small jobs they can find, no matter how hard, so that they can pay their rent and not have to live outside.  They see their children as a gift frtom God and know that His Will will be accomplished in their lives - no matter what - and they praise Him mightily when they are able to pay their children's school fees.  My friends here would NEVER complain about their beans and rice or ask why they must eat the same food day after day.  They thank God for His provisions and teach their children to do the same.  When they become ill from the water or from mosquitoes are any other number of things that i take for granted, they simply accept it - and pray.  I actually cannot recall any of my Ugandan friends complaining in the years I have come here.  Instead, they say, "Praise God for He is good!"  "Uganda is easy." 
We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not forsaken... ~  2 Cor 4:8

Katwe~
As soon as I woke Maggie I could see the dread on her face. She knew today we would be going to Katwe.  Like I did with Matt, i tried my best to prepare her.  I showed her many pictures and videos and told her my stories.  She had a good idea of what she would be walking into, and she was scared.  I felt assured that the elders there would protect her, the same way they protect me.  They know who I am now and they know that we are helping their daughters.  Rachel travels there weekly to check on them so they trust her and she would be going with us. But, regardless, Katwe is absolutely the most frightening and shocking place I have ever been in my life and in a few hours we would be there.
Maggie was very quiet on the way.  We wore rubber boots this time.  I think i have learned my lesson going there in flip flops and I wanted to protect her health as much as I could.  Parasites enter easiest through the soles of your feet and I've been the unlucky receiver of my share.  As we exited the vehicle, I asked her if she ok and she silently nodded.
And then  I took her by the hand and led her into hell on earth.
As we worked our way down between the buildings and stepped into the area where the Karamojong stay, Maggie would not lift her eyes to look.  I had to tell her to.  She was completely silent and I had no idea what she was thinking.  One of the tribe elders came and greeted us and aaked us to follow him and told us to stay close to him.  He walked us around and showed us their current living conditions and what they were up against.  Large sticks which held up heavy plastic with people laying in the dirt underneath of it. Sewage running through the area.  Filthy water laying stagnant in ruts and ditches. Flies layering the ground over piles of human/animal feces.  Very sick crying babies everywhere.  Mucous and blood coming from noses, swollen bloodied lips, sores on their faces and arms - half clothed.  The inner parts of something laying pink and bloody in a pile.  The stench of all of these things combined - the looks of hopelessness, sickness, despair - everywhere you looked.  Everyone speaking in their native language asking us to please help them.  Me - smiling, grabbing their hands and telling them that we are trying but knowing that we could do more.  And the entire time - Maggie does not say a word.
As we left, i thanked them for welcoming us and we quietly walked back to our car.
It's hard for any of us to understand how people can be left to live like this.  Even refugee camps are equipped with cots, clean water, tents, medical care and food.  They receive nothing.  Nothing at all.  Refugees in their own country and no one to help them.

Uganda has changed me.  The people who are closest to me know this.  I thought i was broken prior to meeting the karamojong and the people here.  But God had only been preparing me for a real breaking.  He is breaking me still.  But it is in my brokenness that i find Him.  The breaking inevitably means suffering...But this is when I cling to Him.  When you resist the breaking and hence the suffering, you cease to grow in Him.  You become unpliable in His hands.  If He is going to mold you and create in you the design He had for your life...you must be like clay in the Potter's hands.  But it hurts to be squeezed and stretched and reshaped.  It's a beautiful process to the Potter and one so full of love, but it challenges us to remain in His hands.  My clay is not yet baked.  I am not ready to be placed on His shelf full of His perfection.  I need to be undone again and again and molded and reminded until I begin to finally love the way that He loves.  But the breaking of the vessel that i have created in my own flesh - please God - no matter how much i resist - break it until there is not a recognizable piece left - And then mold me into the daughter you created me to be. Only then can I serve and follow you the way that you have called me to.

Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God! Let Your good Spirit lead me on level ground! Psalm 143:10
"If anyone woukd come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow Me..." Matthew 16:24
Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.  Matthew 6:10 






No comments:

Post a Comment