Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Visiting the Orphanages

Today Resty, Recho, and Merab drove to Kampala to visit 2 orphanages.  We were trying to evaluate the situations at both because there is a 15 month old baby whose mama died on Christmas Day.  She was found laying in a park with her children around her.  Someone called the police, but she was dead.  There is no family to take the baby and the father is mostly absent. The baby has TB and is being treated for it in a local hospital but they want to release him to a guardian. ECM does not take children until they are old enough to attend school. So we went to the orphanages to check them out.  (It is very hard to adopt a child here if there is a known living relative.) The first one was at capacity but said they would consider taking the baby with a health clearance and  permission from the father. A death certificate also has to be presented for the file.  The children were not there because they were on holiday.  Each staff worker takes 2-3 children to their own homes during this time just to allow them a different environment besides the orphanage.  I thought that was awesome.
The second one we went to was Sanyu Babies Home. It is the first and oldest Babies home in Uganda  and was founded in 1929.  It is a Christian organization and they care for up to 50 babies and toddlers between 1day old and 4 years. These children are all actual orphans having been found in the streets, garbage dumps, or just found by someone all alone.  I fell absolutely in love with these children.  As the lady was giving us a tour, I reached into a crib a pulled a baby into my arms and carried him throughout the rest of the facility.  He was the most beautiful precious baby boy.  He had just been circumcised, so I was carrying him around with a towel wrapped around his bottom.  His tried to hold on tight to my neck and just snuggled up into my arm.  They needed to take us somewhere else so I had to put him down and he cried so I stayed with him until he stopped.  We visited with the toddlers and played with them for a while but I snuck away and went back to my boy. I held on to him until the visiting time was over.  He cried and looked so sad when I placed him in his little bed and I kissed him and whispered, "This should never have to happen to a baby."  And I meant it.  I wish I could love on every sad or lonely child that exists on this planet.  I wish I could rock them and sing to them until they were no longer afraid.  I would if I could.

Good night my family and friends.  Those of you that can, tuck your children in tonight.  I wish I could.

For the word of The Lord is right, and all His work is done in truth.  He loves righteousness and justice; The earth is full of the goodness of The Lord.   Psalm 33:4-5

4 comments:

  1. Hello "Terra," (you know the voice I said Terra with, right?/ok.. and a what's up to my man Rodney-On-The-Wall. (Truthfully...you need to come to your senses and put the slam -jam- out -of- my- shack -man on Rodney with all the fury you can muster...because for all we know ol Rod just may be Rowina with a fat belly full of "coming to America hopefuls." Do you get me here? Seriously, friend....do it swiftly and don't look back. No regrets.
    Now, regarding all of this you just shared about visiting the orphanages today....I am beside myself just in deep thought about what you must be feeling. I can't even try to imagine because I have nothing to reference that exact feeling from. I am picturing all of this, like Sheri said, so well because you are so good at describing it. I am picturing you doing all of this. I am shaking as I type this. It is so not "something" I don't know what word to use..."fair?" that any child have to "live " this way. Thank Heavenly Father that I was born to my parents and that I have never suffered in that way. I wish we could take all of the earthly pain away from people who are suffering. We can do what you are doing, though, and keep praying for better. Again, I am not eloquent in words, I am just trying to let you know that I am happy that you are there doing what you are doing and sharing this with all of us. When you describe the village noises and smells I feel like I am listening to a teacher read me a story...I am hooked and cannot put this "book" down. It is so exciting to check for your latest blogs. I hate that word(blog) by the way. PS (random thoughts for you) I am lost on these many snow days without having you to call and share my boredom. I thought of you as I was sweeping under the couch cushions a little bit ago. Just sayin'. .....I am picturing little Dakota Blanton and how much he loves you...he gave India 2 little wrinkled scraps of paper last week with a note to me and to Mr. Dopp asking him to call his "school" and make them let him come back to Edison. His note to me was to "call him." There is sadness all around.....but there is also beauty, right? I can't say call me later...so...I love you and look forward to your next message. It's 334 pm here...you are probably talking to Rodney...your new "Wilson"...shut him down man...shut him down. Love ya...Ginge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Terra and Rodney!

    It is 545 pm here. It snowed in Charlotte last night 2 inches. Schools were closed, they go nuts here! I laughed as I drove on the dry, yes I said dry highway to work!!

    I am not worrying as much about you per your directive! Mostly because you are never so firm with me and I can tell you and Jesus mean business!! :)

    I cried when I pictured you at the orphanages. It makes me realize how fortunate we are and how much we take for granted. Like Eddie, I read your blog like the morning paper, but I must admit I look forward to commentary by Ginger just as much! (Hi Ginger!)
    I find myself through the day fast forwarding my mental clock to Africa time and wondering what you are doing! Do good!! I know you are having a wonderful experience and we are blessed to see it through your eyes.

    (Rodney, don't listen to anything Ginger says!)

    Xoxo! With love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so nice , Terra, because all of the people you love are "here" with you and we are like together in a way. I feel like we're all at this like "camp" together waiting for words from our friend/you.... on the outside...weird I know...but anyway I'd like to take the opportunity to say HELLO to all of your "friends" and loved ones...Karen, Eddie, Beth, Sheri, Matt, Britt,.Melissa..Ryan, Maggie....Hey everyone! I am so glad to be a part of this circle of great people! How 'bout we all meet at Terra and Ryan's Friday night and eat stuff? haha just kiddin' Terra!! Love you all and can't wait to hear from you Terra and read everybody else's comments, too!! Goodnight all/Goodmorning Terra..right? Looks like there'll be school tomorrow in the Ohio Valley...don't know bout' North Carolina?.!! Ginge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shared some of your pics with our bible study small group last night! You are now inspiring a whole new group of people here in Ohio! It was a common theme to hear "I envy her courage and faith!" I also may have booked your first speaking engagement when you return :)
    Tell Kibule to drive safe! Keeping doing God's work, those kids will be forever blessed!

    We love you

    -Eddie

    ReplyDelete